My new MKT

LINCOLN MKT DISCUSSION

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 am

My new MKT

Hi guys! Haven't logged on here in a while, partly due to embarrassment during a brief defection to Cadillac (Escalade EXT) but, having returned to my senses and having now taken delivery on a new 2012 Lincoln MKT, I decided I could show my face here again! lol I bought my MKT on March 9 so I've had it just over six weeks now and have logged about 3000 miles. I can't honestly say it was love at first sight, but the more I drive this vehicle the more I like it. It is Tuxedo Black Metallic with tan interior. It is AWD, has the Ecoboost engine, the power Vista moonroof, navigation, etc., etc., etc. It is equipped with pretty much all the bells and whistles with the exception of the rear seat DVD entertainment package. Sticker on it was just under $57000. I was looking for a vehicle which could more or less fulfill the functions of the three vehicles I was trading in on it... the comfort of my Town Car, the openness of my Chrysler Sebring convertible, and the all-weather capability and hauling capacity of my Escalade. Obviously, no vehicle is going to replace all those attributes 100% but the MKT came closer than anything else I could find. My initial impression of it was that it looks like a hearse. In some respects, I still sort of think so... but my concerns about that dissolved once I got inside. From that vantage point it is pure luxury. Some of my favorite features are the speed adaptive cruise control and the adaptive headlights. Too early to tell much about reliability but so far I totally love my newest Lincoln!

Dwayne :)

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Re: My new MKT

Hi Dwayne, nice to see you back. Your new car sounds like a winner. Will you be taking it to All Fords at Carlise this June? This will be the 4th or 5th year I will attempt to get there. I'd like to get over to the Mark VII tent and see OldSchool. Maybe I will finally get there in 2012 :)

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Welcome back Dwayne. Nice Score!

MKTs are designed to fulfill the new standard in automotive luxury AND to restock America's aging fleet of limousines and hearses. My number one concern with the MKT is handling. What are your experiences with city driving and parking?

p.s. We forgive you for straying away from the Lincoln Cross :)
John "Old School" Dancy, Primos, Pennsylvania, US
"They're only factory original once."
"All of this is assuming that everything else in the system is stock and well maintained."
"Expearence is the abillity to reconise a misteak befor you mak it agan."
"PROGRESS ... NOT PERFECTION!"
1984(2)|1985|1986|1988|1990(2) Lincoln Mark VIIs

- © Classic Lincolns All rights reserved.

Post Wed May 02, 2012 9:36 am

Eddie, I wish I could make it to Carlisle but it doesn't look promising at all. I had to move my handicapped sister and my mother, who has Alzheimer's, in to live with us in February. This is along with my wife who never completely recovered from the stroke she suffered in 2007. Leaving home for any length of time would be risking disastrous results and none of them are up to accompanying me on such a trip. If there should happen to be any significant change in our arrangements (improbable but I suppose not entirely impossible), I'll let you know.

John, so far I've been very impressed with the handling of the MKT. Visibility is outstanding in all directions except to the rear, but it is equipped with rear sensors, a back-up camera, and cross-traffic sensors, so parking is a breeze in spite of the small rear window. I'm also impressed with the blind-spot warning technology. My car is actually equipped with the auto-parking option but I'm not sure I'll ever trust it to actually parallel park itself... there are just some things I'd rather do myself! If I ever get up enough nerve to try it, I'll let you know! With the AWD, it is especially sure-footed on wet roads and the twisty rural roads in my area and yet has none of the bulky feeling I noted in my Navigator, Mark LT, or the more recent Cadillac Escalade. If it proves over time to be reliable, I think my MKT is well on the way to becoming my favorite car ever.

It's good to be back but I never completely defected; I still have my two 79's and until a few weeks ago, a '95 Mark VIII. I had planned to give the Mark VIII to my son's fiance but she's fairly tall and she bumped her head every time she got in or out. Swapped it for a one-owner '95 Cadillac (there's that dirty word again) Deville which fits her a lot better. The two cars were essentially the same mileage (mid-90K) and, apart from a moonroof in the Mark VIII, similarly equipped. The Caddy has the advantage of being a much less complicated car which should keep maintenance costs down. It's also pre-Northstar and so doesn't have the head gasket issue. Of course, the Mark had the distinction of being a much faster, sleeker, sexier ride. Bottom line is that Brittany's happy with her car and since I gave it away anyway, it makes no real difference to me.

Dwayne :D

Post Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 am

That's a nice group of vehicles.

Thanks for the write up on the MKT! I spent about an hour with the vehicle at the 2012 Philadelphia International Auto Show and an equal amount of time at my local dealership. i did notice the limited rear view space but found the rest of the vehicle's features more than made up for it. The second row seating refrigerator is one of those luxuries that makes us not even think about looking back :)

I need a tow vehicle for my factory one of one Mark VII and the Mark LT has been in my sights ever since they started leaving the assembly line. We'd all like to hear more about your experiences with that too! Good thing that we have a forum for it also :)

"All of this is assuming that everything else in the system is stock and well maintained."

Post Fri May 11, 2012 6:42 am

I haven't tried out the refrigerator/freezer console yet because we haven't really taken any trips long enough to justify it... tend to forget it is there! My MKT has the towing package but I seriously doubt I'll ever tow anything. The last time I pulled anything was with a then-brand-new 1997 Ford F-150 Lariat. A close friend bought a boat about 200 miles from home and had no way to pick it up. My F-150 was equipped with the towing package and he offered to buy the necessary hitch, gasoline, and a good meal, so off we went! I won't be able to give you any insight on towing with a Mark LT since mine was never hooked up to anything but I'll write something of an overview on the truck in general. A co-worker of mine just purchased a black 40K miles 2008 Mark LT with the extended bed and he has used it a couple of times to pull his 23 foot (I think) travel trailer. He says it pulls great and does not seem to be any strain on the truck at all. He had a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 before but set his sights on trading up to a Lincoln Mark LT back when I bought mine. He wanted to wait until his GMC was paid off to trade and, by that time, they had gone out of production. They are fairly rare in this area but I happened to spot this black '08 on the used car lot of the Lincoln dealership when I bought my MKT. I told him, he contacted them, and after several weeks of dogged price negotiation, he finally took delivery on it sometime in April. As an interesting side note, his son purchased my '95 Mark VIII for his teenaged daughter, who is a classmate of my son's fiance who was originally slated to receive it but who ended up with a '95 Cadillac instead!

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Guys!
I thought I'd give a slight update on things: My MKT is now just about eleven months old and has about 15,500 miles on it. So far, it has been 100% trouble-free. I still like it every bit as much as when I bought it. Gas mileage is running a solid 18 mpg average. That's with a pretty good mix of city and highway driving. My daughter-in-law is driving it now (they got married 12/20/12) due to her Cadillac getting totaled in an accident in mid-January. I have found her a car; she wanted another Caddy so I put a deposit on a very nice low mileage '06 DTS. We're holding off on picking it up until I close on a piece of property I'm selling, which will be in about two weeks. That way, I can pay cash for the balance and not have to be bothered with financing any of it. The property was my mother's house... she passed away last July. Since that time, my sister has gotten considerably worse and is now in Hospice care. I kept two of my cars (the '79 Collector's Series Continental and a '72 Pinto) in the garage at that house, and so ended up selling them recently since I have no room at my house. Since my wife's stroke, we haven't participated in any car shows or anything anyway. I'm probably better off without them, although it makes me sad to get rid of them. I still have my '79 Mark V but am undecided about its future. Parking is at a premium at my house. Current vehicles are the aforementioned MKT and Mark V, an F-150 Lariat 4x4, a '97 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, and Britt's "new" Cadillac will be added to the mix very soon. Unloading the Mark V would definitely free up some precious real estate! Oh well! I tried to sell Brittany on the idea of a Lincoln but I couldn't sway her... they took a really hard hit, broadside, in that Cadillac and walked away unscathed. Both she and Cody attribute that in large part to the safety of the car they were driving and I suspect they are going to become life-long Cadillac devotees as a result of it. I guess they could do worse!
Dwayne :)

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Dwayne,
Something like surviving and auto accident can turn even Henry Ford into a Cadillac fan. Good to read that they were unscathed.

Using real-estate as storage can be costly, unless you have enough vehicles to equate the cost of storing them elsewhere. You made a good move to liquidate it though I would have sold the 1997 and moved the second 1979 to home :)

I've spoken to several MKT owners and have yet received a bad review from any of them. They didn't have any operational issues except the learning curve of it's size and definitely no maintenance issues to speak of. Like you, they're still low milers with maybe 15,000 miles per year of ownership. All had more than one vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lincoln about my test drive incentive. Once here, I'll test drive the MKT first and then the 2013 MKZ. Strange as this may sound, I'm interested in the lateral movement between the front and rear tires on quick turns. I have read that the hard, factory installed tires cause an over-steer effect. The MKT's higher center of gravity may need a softer tire in this instance or at least much lower pressure in the rears.

Have you had to dodge any deer in your MKT?

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:21 am

Much as I hated to see my '79 Collector's Series go, I could never bring myself to give up my Rolls! You know I love my Lincolns and my MKT is actually the 15th Lincoln I've owned over the years. I'm 55 years old now and bought my first Lincoln when I was eighteen! Most people spend their entire adult life trading up the ladder to attain the level of luxury car that I started out with. I guess that's why the idea of owning a Rolls Royce appealed to me so much. It is a far superior automobile - but it should be considering the cost. The MSRP on my '97 Silver Spur was $186,100. What was the average MSRP on a '97 Town Car... maybe $35,000? There really isn't any way to compare a (Crewe-built) Rolls Royce to anything else on market; it's a driving experience unto itself. I love it... it is a rolling work of art with all the leather, wood, sheepskins, etc. It doesn't really make a practical daily driver, but even though it's sixteen years old, it's a thoroughly modern automobile... especially when compared to a 1979 Lincoln Continental. This is my second one... my first was a 1985 Silver Spirit. I have absolutely no experience with the newer models since BMW took over Rolls Royce, nor do I have an aspirations to "move up" to one of them. My Rolls Royce mechanic assures me that with proper maintenance I should be good until at least 500,000 miles. I just tripped 69,000 so I have a long way to go! Just a bit of RR trivia: among the names of the many famous people who have owned Rolls Royce motorcars, you'll find one that really stands out... Henry Ford.

I actually HAVE dodged a few deer in my MKT but it's always been at extremely low speed. Didn't seem to present any problem. The handling of the MKT is excellent - tight, yet responsive. Mine is AWD so I don't know how much that would affect the driving characteristics. I have never driven a two-wheel-drive model. Obviously, having cut my teeth on large vehicles, the size of the MKT has never presented a challenge for me. I WILL say however, that I was surprised to realize just how large it actually is. I think it has a rather sleek profile but one day I parked it beside a Chevy Suburban and was shocked to realize that it is almost exactly the same length and only a few inches shorter in height even though the Suburban looks huge compared to my Lincoln! I'm never aware of its size in the way I was when I had my Navigator, Escalade, or even with my F-150. Seating height is, of course, lower than on any of those but higher than most folks are used to. It is very similar in that respect to the Rolls. People who have never been in a Rolls Royce are amazed to learn how high up you sit in one compared to other sedans. My daughter-in-law's DTS make me feel like I'm sinking down into a bucket when I'm in the driver's seat! lol

Have fun with your test drives! The 2013 MKZ is a sharp looking car but I have a problem with that grille. I hope it works out for them and leads to a surge in sales, but I just don't find it appealing. I guess I've been looking at vertical grilles for way too many years to just accept that change!
Last edited by dga57 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:49 am

Wow! Time certainly flies... it appears that I manage to get on here about once every year or two! I've been reading back over some of my old posts, just to figure out where I was in life the last time I was here. Updates: The sister who I was caring for passed away last year. My wife's health is continuing to decline, but she's still kickin'! After my mother's and sister's deaths and my son's marriage, I pretty much decided that Gloria and I didn't really need the MKT. The friend who had the black '08 Mark LT was diagnosed with a brain tumor and decided to sell his truck. I had a cousin who was interested in my MKT so sold it to him with plans to purchase my friend's pickup as a replacement. Then he decided NOT to sell it after all! Looked around for another nice Mark LT but couldn't find one I liked so started shopping new trucks and ended up buying a Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Edition instead. It is a super nice truck and definitely meets/exceeds all my truck requirements. This Spring we also purchased a 2014 Mustang convertible. I ultimately gave my '79 Mark V to my best friend Charlie in early 2013 because he had more time to dedicate to it than I did, not to mention more parking space. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly in June of this year. His widow offered it back to me but, after careful consideration, I declined. So, I find myself Lincoln-less again. Still have the Rolls-Royce and a recently-acquired '72 Pinto Squire wagon in addition to the truck and the convertible. My son and daughter-in-law still live with us and are still driving the 2006 Cadillac DTS plus a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee they bought last Winter. Despite all this, I'm sure there will be other Lincolns in my future; just not sure what or when.

Dwayne :D

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:56 pm

My condolences Dwayne. The Cycle Of Life makes me enjoy every moment.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:06 am

Not bad (for me) - I've been away for six months and nothing new has happened! Wife is still kickin', son and daughter-in-law still married, and we still have all the same vehicles. I believe we may be in a rut! lol Nothing of note to say except that it was warm enough Thursday (3/26) to put the top down on my Mustang and go for a ride. Today it never got past 30 degrees and is supposed to go down to 17 degrees overnight. Brrrr!

One thing: the friend with the black '08 Mark LT who had brain cancer passed away in late February. He never got to drive his truck again after deciding to keep it, but he told me around Christmas that it was so pretty it made him happy just to have it there so he could look at it. He was 61.

Dwayne

Post Mon May 08, 2017 5:38 am

Gosh - have I really been away for over two years?!?!? Time just seems to get away from me more and more, these days. Wife is still kickin' but has now added renal failure to her list of health problems. She has had surgery four times over the past seven months. All in all however, she'd doing better than you'd expect.

We have made a few vehicle changes: as the Rolls-Royce became more and more expensive to maintain, we replaced it with a 2011 Jaguar XJL Supercharged. We bought it for taking trips but truly haven't been anywhere except to visit my in-laws (about 150 miles away) several times a year and encountered an unforeseen problem there in that the car drags horribly over a hump in their driveway. Finding this unacceptable, we made our most recent visit there (Christmas) in the pickup instead. In a compromise move, I sold the Jaguar earlier this year and then traded my Ram pickup on a new 2016 Lincoln Navigator (see... I always come back!) which offers great comfort and enough ground clearance to navigate (pun intended) my in-laws' driveway. I'll post my thoughts on it in the Navigator section, particularly in comparison with the first-generation Navigator I had fifteen years ago.

Last Spring, I traded the 2014 Mustang convertible for a 2015. That may not sound like the smartest move in the world, but the 2015 restyle made enough improvement to the car to excite me. I picked up a tilt/telescope steering wheel, push button start, and a back-up camera in the one-year upgrade. In addition to that, I stepped up from a base model to a premium which added heated/cooled leather seats with power adjustments on both sides, Sirius Satellite radio, and the EcoBoost engine. The top goes up and down in half the time of the older model and doesn't require a tonneau cover to look decent when its down. Although it's simply a matter of personal preference, I think the ruby red metallic paint is a huge improvement over the 2014's ingot silver too. I purchased it as a Certified Pre-Owned so it didn't break the bank.

I've added another Ford Pinto to the fold as well: an orange 1974 Runabout with black interior, which is essentially identical to the very first car I ever had back in 1974 when I was sixteen years old! It has been undergoing a total restoration for the past year and is just about completed. Engine rebuilt, other mechanicals freshened or replaced, body completely reworked and repainted to look like new, all badging replaced with NOS, and five brand new 13 inch white sidewall tires (which are a total pain to find nowadays). A small amount of upholstery work remains to be done on the front seat bottoms (everything else looks great) and she'll be finished. She has been a California car for all her 43 years so rust was not much of an issue. I could have bought a new Fiesta for what I have invested in this Pinto, but what would be the fun in that?

Cody and Brittany still have the same two vehicles: her 2006 Cadillac DTS and his 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and still make their home with us.

More than anything else, I just wanted to reconnect, update, and say hi! Take care!

Dwayne

Post Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

Dwayne,
Thanks for the updates. Congratulations on the orange addition to the Family.

We cannot always change our health or the health of our loved ones, but we can increase our levels of comfort. Make sure you keep your loved ones comfortable.

Return to LINCOLN MKT DISCUSSION