THOUGHTS ON MY NAVIGATOR

LINCOLN NAVIGATOR DISCUSSION

Post Mon May 08, 2017 6:22 am

THOUGHTS ON MY NAVIGATOR

Of the fifteen Lincolns I've owned over the past 41 years, eleven fell into the category of sedans and coupes. The other four were a 2000 Navigator, a 2007 Mark LT, a 2012 MKT and, my most recent acquisition, a 2016 Navigator. All were either 4x4 or AWD and, with the exception of the first Navigator, were all purchased new. The 2000 Navigator was purchased in 2002 with approximately 20,000 miles on it.

Of these four vehicles, the MKT was definitely the most technologically advanced, but I was always rather partial to the Navigator that preceded it by ten years. For its day it was well equipped, having been outfitted with all the bells and whistles. The ride was comfortable but the heaviness of the handling was a constant reminder that you were piloting 6000 pounds of American steel. Gas mileage was in keeping with what you'd expect from a vehicle of that size with a V-8 engine. I paid $36,000 for it used and felt it was a good investment; I thoroughly enjoyed my time of ownership.

The 2016 Navigator is surprisingly similar to its heritage. It's about the same size and weight but has somewhat different driving characteristics. Computerized damping of the suspension gives it a smoother, more car-like ride. Steering feels much lighter than the older model. The Eco-Boost six cylinder engine has more horsepower than the old V-8, is noticeably quieter, and turns in slightly better gas mileage. It does not have the Premium fuel requirement of the 2000, although Premium IS recommended for extreme use, such as towing. Other improvements and updates include the transmission, power-folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, power deployed running boards, power tilt/telescope steering wheel, navigation, Sirius satellite radio, a power liftgate, and a power-operated third seat that creates a flat cargo space when stowed. MSRP on my Navigator was $71,000+ but I got a really good deal since I purchased it after the 2017's were on the lot. I was surprised to learn that, for whatever reason, a heated steering wheel is not offered, even as an option, on Navigator. Perhaps the 2018 version of Navigator will correct that oversight. My Navigator replaced two vehicles: a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn Edition pickup and a 2011 Jaguar XJL Supersport, both of which spoiled me rotten with their heated steering wheels! Maybe I should relocate to a warmer climate!

Writing this review also brought to my attention that I may be in a rut of some sort color-wise; my first Navigator and my Mark LT were both red. The MKT and my current Navigator are both black. My "other" vehicle (a 2015 Mustang convertible) is also red! Oh well, I like what I like!

Dwayne

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: THOUGHTS ON MY NAVIGATOR

Welcome back and thank you for the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z5anFKNB10
John "Old School" Dancy, Primos, Pennsylvania, US
"They're only factory original once."
"All of this is assuming that everything else in the system is stock and well maintained."
"Expearence is the abillity to reconise a misteak befor you mak it agan."
"PROGRESS ... NOT PERFECTION!"
1984(2)|1985|1986|1988|1990(2) Lincoln Mark VIIs

- © Classic Lincolns All rights reserved.

Return to LINCOLN NAVIGATOR DISCUSSION