Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:19 am

1929 Lincoln Model L Brougham Town Car

1929 Lincoln Model L Brougham Town Car
Coachwork by LeBaron
Chassis no. 60051
Engine no. 60051

US$ 55,000 - 65,000
£34,000 - 40,000

AUCTION 21929:
PRESERVING THE AUTOMOBILE
An Auction at the Simeone Automotive Museum

6 Oct 2014 14:00 EDT

PHILADELPHIA, SIMEONE FOUNDATION AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM

385ci L-Head V-8 Engine
Single Stromberg Updraft Carburetor
90bhp at 2,800rpm
3-Speed Manual Transmission
Four-Wheel Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs with Live Rear Axle
4-Wheel Mechanical Drum Brakes

*Rare formal coachwork
*Beautifully preserved
*Over $30,000 in recent mechanical recommissioning
*A CCCA Full Classic®

The Lincoln Model L

Henry Martyn Leland had earned his reputation as Detroit's "Master of Precision" long before establishing Lincoln to build Liberty aircraft engines for The Great War. Leland launched Cadillac's reputation as "The Standard of the World", then left in a dispute with Billy Durant and started Lincoln, commencing automobile manufacture after the war.

Leland's first Lincoln was superbly engineered and built. Introduced in 1921, it was powered by a 358 cubic inch L-head 60° V-8 engine. Unlike more conventional V-engines which offset the cylinder banks slightly to make room for adjacent connecting rod bearings on the crank journals, Leland's Model L used fork-and-blade connecting rods and disposed the cylinders directly opposite each other. Unusually for the period, Leland's V-8 had full pressure lubrication. The Model L Lincolns were powerful, reliable and strong.

Leland, however, had an engineer's vision and the bodies which completed his automobiles were stodgy and out-of-date. When it became apparent that drastic measures were needed to brighten up the Leland Lincolns' appearance, they turned to the Buffalo, New York firm of Brunn & Company. Hermann A. Brunn rushed out a set of twelve body designs, delivering one of each to Lincoln. But it was too late as dismal sales, the post WWI recession and an erroneous $4½ million tax bill spelled the end of Lincoln. It was bought out of receivership in 1922 by none other than Henry Ford to balance the success of the bare bones Model T with the best-engineered and best-built luxury automobile in America.

Edsel Ford took charge at Lincoln after Leland's angry parting only four months later and quickly commissioned the best American coachbuilders to create designs for Lincoln. Locke, Judkins, Dietrich, Derham, LeBaron and others soon joined Brunn.

Ford's engineers improved modestly upon Leland's V-8, changing to aluminum pistons and revising the heads for better cooling but the quality and potential of the basic engine and chassis design proved itself by providing the underpinnings for Lincoln until it was superceded by the Model K V12 in 1933. In 1929 the Lincoln engineers adopted rubber engine mounts and increased the engine's oil pressure while Edsel Ford and his design team effected evolutionary changes to the exterior design with a new, higher, radiator and hood line. In addition to twenty-four cataloged custom bodies Lincoln offered twelve bodies of its own design, from closed sedans to the deluxe Sport Touring car, reputedly the favored design of some of Lincoln's best and most prosperous clients, bootleggers and hoodlums who appreciated the wide field of fire of its post-less sides and wide-open interior without the encumbrance of a dual cowl.

The Motorcar Offered

The 1929 Lincoln Model L Brougham Town Car offered here is a beautiful example of the type. Bodied by LeBaron, style 162A, it is equipped with a removable driver's roof section and padded rear faux cabriolet top. It seats six with the permanent front and rear seats each designed for two occupants and a pair of jump seats facing each other in the rear compartment.

Prior to the current vendor's purchase of the car in 2012, the car resided in a single collection going back to the early 1960s. Initially used on tours, the car had been repainted at some point early in the penultimate owner's tenure and still carries the now decades-old dark red over black color scheme which continues to present well today. Laid up for at least a decade prior to the present owner's acquisition, the car was subject to an over $30,000 mechanical restoration by Pollack Restoration in Pottstown, Pennsylvania shortly after purchase.

Close inspection of the car reveals it to be an honestly preserved and lovingly maintained machine, save for the older repaint and a re-skinned top. The seating surfaces appear to be original, with the cloth ensconced rear compartment showing particularly pleasant patina. Removing the seats in front reveal the original wood framing with the correct stampings for the body.

An excellent tour car applicable for CCCA events as a Full Classic®, this Model L will no doubt bring enjoyment to its next owner.

Image
Image
Image
Image