Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:41 am

1939 LINCOLN ZEPHYR

1939 LINCOLN ZEPHYR COUPE
Sold for $165,000.00 inc. premium
The Amelia Island Auction
11:00 EST
Fernandina Beach Golf Club

267.3ci Flathead V-12 Engine
Single 2-Barrel Carburetor
110bhp at 3,900rpm
3-Speed Manual Transmission with Columbia two speed axle
Solid Front and ¾ Floating Rear Axle with 4-Wheel Transverse Leaf Springs
4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes

*Legendary styling by E.T. "Bob" Gregorie
*Rare, unmodified example
*A CCCA Full Classic®
*Columbia two speed rear end

THE LINCOLN ZEPHYR

Introduced in late 1935 as a 1936 model, the original Lincoln-Zephyr combined the aerodynamic efficiency of streamlined styling with an early form of unit body construction that reduced weight while enhancing rigidity. A style leader from the beginning, the original Zephyr featured a tall, prow-like grille for its first two years. A new face appeared on the 1938 Zephyr, featuring a low-mounted, horizontal grille that would have a tremendous influence on automotive designers everywhere—by 1940 many American cars were frankly copying the late '30s Zephyr frontal ensemble.

Inside the stylish design aesthetic continued with a central console erupting from the floor and a large, multi-gauge cluster acting as an orb-like cornice. Within the large, Art Deco scripted roundel was the speedometer as well as gauges for temperature, fuel, oil, and battery. A smaller clock sat below.

Power came from the trusty L-head V-12 that had appeared in various iterations since 1935. Funneling the horsepower reward was the rugged Zephyr 3-speed manual transmission (which would become a legend among hot rodders of a later generation) that shift by way of a standard level that bent around central gauge cluster. An optional two speed Columbia axle was available to improve highway performance.

THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

Of the six body styles offered in the 1939 Zephyr lineup, there is little doubt the three-window coupe is among the best looking. Penned by E.T. "Bob" Gregorie, the coupe's long, low figure looked like it just went on for days. Looked at in profile, the car appeared to be moving a 100mph even when parked.

One of 2500 three window coupes, the offered car is a rare example that has remained in its stock trim. The handsome good looks and sturdy monocoque body and chassis that was engineered by Briggs Manufacturing Company's John Tjaarda was not just pretty but very strong. Many of these elegant coupes found themselves chopped and channeled.

Finished in black over grey broadcloth, the optional radio and cigar lighter are both featured on this car in addition to dual rearview mirrors and a driver side A-pillar mounted spotlight. Restored some time ago, the car still has vast amounts of presence that will turn heads where ever it goes.

When parked next to other cars from the era, this Lincoln looks so futuristic that it appears to have been beamed down from another world. A CCCA Full Classic®, it would be a welcome participant at any number of tours and shows.

Image
Image
Image
Image