Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 am

1953 Lincoln Capri Convertible

1953 Lincoln Capri Convertible
Chassis no. 53WA32908H
Lincoln had started post-WW2 production, like almost all its rivals, with revived pre-war designs; not until 1948 would there be genuinely new Lincoln models. Disappointingly though, these looked just like those of parent company Ford. And the luxurious Continental had gone: Lincoln’s new top-of-the-range model was the Cosmopolitan. The following year the ‘Capri’ name was adopted for the Cosmopolitan in its two-door hardtop coupé configuration, becoming a series in its own right for 1952 when the entire range was restyled and a new 317.5cu in (5.2-liter) overhead-valve V8 introduced. Available as a four-door sedan, two-door hardtop coupé or two-door convertible, the Capri was now Lincoln’s top-of-the-range model. For 1953, the Lincoln V8 produced more power per cubic inch than any of its rivals, and although Lincoln had not hitherto enjoyed an image as a maker of high performance automobiles - the marque was more associated with the height of luxury courtesy of the fabulous Continentals - in 1952 it scored a sweeping 1-2-3-4 victory in the Carrera Panamericana road race using ’53 models and was not slow to capitalise: ‘The first function of a fine car is outstanding performance,’ stated Lincoln’s advertising. As if to underline that point, Lincoln scored a second consecutive 1st through 4th finish in the ’53 Carrera. Today the early 1950s Capri - a ‘Milestone’ model - is one of the most coveted of post-WW2 American classics.
This ’53 Capri has the standard Hydra-Matic automatic transmission and 317.5cu in 205bhp V8 engine, while installed options include power seats, power top and electric windows. Produced during parent company Ford’s 50th Anniversary year, it has the original commemorative plaque fixed to the dashboard. The car was sold new in Virginia, remaining within its first owner’s family until purchased by George House, of House of Autocars circa 1989 and mechanically restored. Sal Messina of Columbia Auto undertook the restoration of the interior (seats and carpets), top and trunk liner in 1990, before George House sold the car to its current owner in April 1991. Subsequent refurbishment of the body and paintwork was carried out by Essex Auto between 1992 and 1996. A guaranteed head-turner finished in Palace Green with matching leather interior and boot cover, the car is offered with partial tool kit (jack, etc), owner’s manual, service records and Certificate of Title.


Sold for $30,713 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Image
John "Old School" Dancy, Primos, Pennsylvania, US
"They're only factory original once."
"All of this is assuming that everything else in the system is stock and well maintained."
"Expearence is the abillity to reconise a misteak befor you mak it agan."
"PROGRESS ... NOT PERFECTION!"
1984(2)|1985|1986|1988|1990(2) Lincoln Mark VIIs

- © Classic Lincolns All rights reserved.