Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:21 am

1931 Lincoln Model K Project

1931 Lincoln Model K Project
Chassis no. 68059
Engine no. 68059


Sold for £2,530 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Footnote:
Having left Cadillac in 1917, company founder Henry Martyn Leland set up Lincoln to build Liberty aero engines and only turned to motor car manufacture after the 1918 Armistice. Like the Cadillac, the Lincoln was a precision-made product and featured a 60-degree V8 engine developing 80bhp, good enough to guarantee 70mph performance. Unfortunately, Lincoln customers had to endure a protracted wait to experience it for themselves as deliveries did not commence until September 1920, eight months behind schedule. This delay and the onset of the post-war recession combined to hinder sales and by early 1922 the company was up for sale. The buyer was none other than Henry Ford, whose acquisition of Lincoln enabled him to contest the upper reaches of the market while the ubiquitous Model T continued to dominate at the other extreme.
By 1928 the Lincoln engine had been enlarged from 357.8 to 384.8ci (6.3 litres) and for 1931 was heavily revised, incorporating five main bearings and a host of other improvements - including the first American use of a two-barrel, down-draught carburettor - that raised maximum power from 90 to 120bhp. Lincoln’s up-rated motor went into an entirely new car - the Model K - built on a lengthened (145”) wheelbase chassis.
A rare, original, right-hand drive example, this partially disassembled Lincoln Model K is offered for restoration. The vendor advises us that the suspension, brakes and drive train are assembled on the chassis, while the steering column has been removed and the assorted controls that run down it retained for cleaning. The body is complete from the bulkhead forward, including the hinged screen frame, and there are partial doors and frames (with tops cut off) but no bodywork from the rear doors back. There is only one spare wheel but both mounting brackets are present.
All engine parts are reported as present: the cylinder heads and blocks have been removed and stripped, with all related parts sorted and in boxes. The carburettor, starter motor, dynamo, fuel pump and water pump have all been refurbished, while the air filter, radiator and temperature control grille, greyhound radiator cap, cockpit controls, headlights, sidelights (pair), dashboard and instruments are all present. In addition to the foregoing there is a box containing four door handles, four window winders and eight escutcheons. A challenging project for certain, but one that nevertheless affords the prospect of a most exciting luxury touring car on completion. No reserve.



Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
John "Old School" Dancy, Primos, Pennsylvania, US
"They're only factory original once."
"All of this is assuming that everything else in the system is stock and well maintained."
"Expearence is the abillity to reconise a misteak befor you mak it agan."
"PROGRESS ... NOT PERFECTION!"
1984(2)|1985|1986|1988|1990(2) Lincoln Mark VIIs

- © Classic Lincolns All rights reserved.